This iconic Shrimp and Grits recipe starts with the creamiest grits you’ll ever have in life. They get topped with jumbo shrimp, spicy andouille sausage and a luscious creamy pepper sauce. This classic Southern dish loaded with great flavor makes for perfect comfort food!
Happy National Grits Day Folks! We’re celebrating with the iconic Southern shrimp and grits dish!! A little back story about this decadent dish.
Shrimp and grits started as a simple dish when corn was a staple in the American diet due to its abundance. This form of porridge was paired with fresh shrimp caught from the coastal regions. Every cook who makes shrimp and grits has their own variation which is mostly dependent upon the culture they represent. I’m providing my variation today. Yay! It’s been a long time coming!
Now you may or may not know that my hubby is a grits connoisseur. He knows his grits and won’t settle for anything less than THE BEST!! They come highly requested at any breakfast event. His grits are the base for this delicious Shrimp and Grits recipe. Don’t skip them!
Now I’m not a huge grits fan as I grew up on rice. Yep! Rice for dinner, lunch AND breakfast. Auntee always made rice for breakfast and it just kinda stuck with me. Even though I’m not a huge fan, I absolutely love hubby’s recipe. They are just the creamiest grits most have ever had in LIFE!!!
How to make creamy grits you make ask? Everyone always asks hubby what his secret is to getting them so creamy. Be sure to watch his video to get his response.
What state is known for shrimp and grits?
That would be the state of South Carolina and more specifically the low country along the South Carolina coast where the shrimp is fresh and abundant.
What goes with shrimp and grits?
Here are some delicious ideas just to name a few.
This shrimp and grits dish defines comfort for many in the foodie realm. However, in the Spirit realm, I am comforted by The Great Comforter…the Holy Spirit. I find confidence in His presence for He is the only true source of hope and comfort. I choose to allow the Holy Spirit to guide and comfort me through difficult times until there is a testimony of His Grace in my life. How about you? Say Grace and enjoy guys!!
Shrimp and Grits
Will's Southern Style Grits
- 2.5 c water
- 1 c grits
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 sticks butter
Shrimp & Creamy Pepper Sauce
- 1.5 c diced andouille 7 ounce sausage (I like Zatarain's)
- 1 c diced red bell pepper
- 1 c diced yellow bell pepper
- 1 lb shrimp, shelled and deveined 16-21 count size
- 2 tsp Old Bay seasoning
- 1.5 c heavy whipping cream
- 2 T butter
- 1 c shredded Asiago cheese
- chopped bacon garnish
- sliced green onions garnish
- chopped parsley garnish
Will's Southern Style Grits
- Bring water to a boil over high heat adding kosher salt.
- Pour in grits stirring constantly and bring heat down to a medium. Continue to babysit the grits stirring constantly until the water has completely absorbed. This should take about 20 minutes.
- Add butter and stir until melted. Once the creamiest texture has formed (about five more minutes), they're done.
Shrimp and Creamy Pepper Sauce
- In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, add diced andouille and peppers. Saute until browned and most of the moisture has cooked out of the peppers (about 7-10 minutes).
- Add shrimp, Old Bay and saute for about 4 minutes or until pink/opague. Remove shrimp only and set aside.
- Add heavy whipping cream and butter to veggies and sausage over medium heat and stir until the sauce has thickened and reduced a bit (about 7 minutes).
- Remove from heat and stir in the cheese until completely melted. Add the shrimp back to the pan and stir.
- Serve grits in a bowl and top with shrimp and creamy pepper sauce. Garnish with chopped bacon, green onions, and parsley. Say Grace and enjoy!
Adapted from Living Kool