These Fried Green Tomatoes are a simple yet delicious addition to your Southern cooking repertoire.
Fried Green Tomatoes!!! The quintessential southern staple. Well…this Southern food blogger never made them until last week. In fact, I’ve never even seen the movie. Wonk wonk wonk. Did I just lose my “Southern Cook” card?!?!?!?
My girlfriend Lisa has been making these fried green tomatoes for her husband, Rico for over 15 years so I thought she’d be the perfect person to show this blogger how to make them. 🙂 In fact, she’ll be doing a live demonstration on facebook and Instagram this coming weekend. Hope you can join us!
Her Momma has a huge garden that yields bountiful amounts of zucchini, Acorn & summer squash, green beans, corn, cabbage, green peppers, beets, white & sweet potatoes, onions, carrots, cucumbers and tomatoes!!! She’s got quite the Farmer’s market to sustain a small village. #Dreamy #GardenGoals
HOW TO MAKE FRIED GREEN TOMATOES
She came over last week and showed me how to make them and I am in love! I love the contrasting textures in these fried green tomatoes…the crispy breading combined with the soft and tangy middle makes them so delicious. She also takes it up a notch with a delicious homemade tomato relish. They are definitely a must try!!!
I’ve been blessed to know Lisa for over 10 years now. She’s truly one of the most supportive sisters in Christ that I know that truly honors the Lord and points others to Jesus and His principles.
God’s Word says, “Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another.” – Proverbs 27:17. I encourage you today to choose great friends that can truly help you sharpen your ability to hear from God and obey His voice. Say Grace and enjoy!
Lisa’s Fried Green Tomatoes with Tomato Relish
- 2 c coarsely chopped red heirloom tomatoes
- 2 T chopped scallions
- 1 T chopped cilantro
- 1/2 jalapeno minced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/2 c extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp fresh lime juice
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp sugar (or to taste)
- salt and pepper to taste
Fried Green Tomatoes
- 1 c flour
- 1.5 tsp. sea salt divided
- 3/4 tsp white pepper divided
- 1 c yellow cornmeal medium or fine
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 2 green tomatoes sliced 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick
- 2 eggs beaten
- grapeseed oil for pan frying
For the relish:
- Toss the tomatoes, scallions, cilantro, and jalapeno in a medium bowl
- Add the olive oil, lime juice, garlic, cumin, sugar, salt and pepper and mix well
- Store covered in the refrigerator for up to 2 days
For the green tomatoes:
- Mix the flour, 1 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. white pepper in a shallow dish
- Mix the remaining 1/2 tsp. salt, remaining 1/2 tsp white pepper, cornmeal and paprika in another shallow dish
- Beat eggs in another dish
- Coat tomatoes in the flour mixture, dip in the eggs and then coat with the cornmeal mixture
- Heat enough grapeseed oil in a large saute pan to measure about 1 inch.
- Fry the tomatoes in the hot oil until crisp and golden brown and drain on rack.
- Top with Tomato Relish. Say Grace and enjoy!
Recipe written by Lisa Camerone
If you like this southern staple , be sure to also try my Salmon Croquettes !