This inside-out cheesy chicken enchilada dish paired with a tasty Spanish style rice is sure to satisfy that next Tex-Mex craving of yours.
Tex-Mex Foodie Lover checking in once again with an easy spin on chicken enchiladas for National Chicken Day! No filling and folding required. It’s sorta kinda an inside-out enchilada! There I go salivating again! All of the players in classic enchiladas are piled on top of tasty boneless skinless chicken thighs. Ummm! “Why chicken thighs”, you may ask? Only because they’re loaded with flavor and full of much more moisture than the very popular chicken breast. They’re also easy on the wallet for the budget conscious. 🙂
Whenever I get a chance to get really creative in the kitchen, I tend to gravitate toward Tex-Mex style cuisine if you didn’t already know. When in doubt, Tex-Mex it out, right? I just can’t get enough of it! From the spicy, cheesy goodness of WHATEVER down to all of the classic cool and crisp toppings, it’s just my kinda flavor!
I thought I’d pair it with a Spanish style rice to round out this budget friendly meal. Although I forgot to add some beans in there for fiber. Don’t you be like me and forget though! 🙂 Momma always said, “Don’t forget your fiber!” Oops! There’s always next time, right? Beans or no beans, you will just love this spin on the classic enchilada dish! Dare I say that you may even enjoy it a bit more because it’s a wee bit lighter than your typical enchilada? Ok, maybe I can’t really go that far with it. 🙂 I’ll let you be the judge! Thanks for stopping by guys! I love you with the love of the Lord! Say Grace and enjoy! 🙂
Enchilada Chicken & Rice
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- kosher salt season to preference
- pepper season to preference
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1 c. sweet onions sliced
- olive oil for sauteeing
- 1/2 c. salsa
- Enchilada Sauce
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 T. flour
- 2 T. chili powder
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp. cumin
- 1/8 tsp. oregano
- 1 c. chicken broth
- Spanish Rice
- 1 and 1/2 c. white rice
- 3 and 1/3 c. chicken broth
- 1 T. butter
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/4 tsp. cumin
- 1 jalapeno seeded and minced
- 1/2 c. salsa
- 1 and 1/2 c.cheddar-jack cheese shredded, divided
- tomato diced, garnish
- tortilla strips garnish
- sour cream garnish
- cilantro optional, garnish
- Rice - Preheat oven to 385 degrees. Pour rice, chicken broth, butter, jalapeno, chili powder and cumin in a casserole dish and stir to combine. Place in the oven for about 40-45 minutes or until broth is completely absorbed. Remove from the oven and stir in the salsa.
- Enchilada Sauce - Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add flour and whisk together for a minute.
- Add the garlic powder, kosher salt, cumin, and oregano.
- Pour in the stock, whisking constantly until smooth.
- Reduce heat and simmer 10-15 minutes or until thickened.
- Chicken - Season chicken with kosher salt, pepper, chili powder and cumin.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil. Saute onions for about 5-7 minutes or until translucent. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Brown chicken for about 2 minutes on each side (adding more oil if needed) . Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add salsa to deglaze the pan. Then pour in about 1 c. of enchilada sauce and reserved onions.Stir well.
- Add the chicken back into the pan covering with the sauce and onions then place in the oven for about 25 minutes or until juices run clear.
- Top each thigh with about 1/4 c. of cheese and place back in the oven for about 5 minutes or until cheese is completely melted.
- Garnish with tomato, tortilla strips, sour cream and cilantro. Serve over rice and the beans that I forgot. Say Grace and enjoy!
Homemade Enchilada Sauce adapted from Gimme Some Oven