Tender roasted beets tossed with tangy goat cheese, toasted walnuts and a yummy balsamic vinaigrette!!
Hey Guys! I took an MRT (Mediator Release Test) a few weeks back to help me determine some of my food sensitivities. This blood test checks your immune system’s response to over 150 foods and chemicals so that you can begin to detect the culprit of inflammation in your body. My results were completely surprising to say the least. Who’s immune system is reactive to LETTUCE!!!! Seriously?!?!?!? I’ve been eating lots of salads lately so the test was able to easily pick up this sensitivity!!!
So this week instead of posting a salad that contains the inflammation culprit…LETTUCE, I decided to post this lovely Roasted Beet & Goat Cheese Salad. If you remember my Roasted Beet & Baby Kale Salad, then you know about my affinity for the roasted beet. Roasted beets are everything because this particular preparation brings out all of that stored sweetness. They are chock full of nutrients to boot!! These babies help lower blood pressure and heart disease risks, boosts stamina, increases blood flow to the brain, decreases inflammation, and improves digestion. Wow!!! What a powerhouse root vegetable!!!
When I think of chronic inflammation, I think of stress. When I think of stress, it makes me think that I need to rely on trusting in God to alleviate the stress. Proverbs 3:5 states to “Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.” If you’re finding yourself in a position in which you’r worrying about what to do in a particular situation, begin to trusting God more on it. Know that He has the perfect plan/solution just for you to see you through. Say Grace and enjoy!!
- 3 medium-size beets, tops removed and washed
- ¼ c. balsamic vinegar
- ¼ c. extra viirgin olive oil
- 1 tsp.Dijon mustard
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ c. toasted walnuts, garnish
- 2 ounces crumbled goat cheese, garnish
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Place the beets on a baking sheet lined with foil and drizzle the olive oil and salt and pepper on top. Wrap the beets individually in the foil to form pouches.
- Roast in the oven for 60-75 minutes depending on their size.
- Allow to cool to room temperature and peel the skin off of each beet.
- Cut beets into large dice.
- Make the Dressing - Combine all the ingredients in a mason jar. Close the lid and shake for about 1 minute.
- Pour the dressing over the warm beets and toss. Garnish with goat cheese and walnuts. Say Grace and enjoy!
Adapted from Barefoot Contessa Foolproof: Recipes You Can Trust