Pan fried cornmeal mixed with shortening and boiling water make these hot water cornbread patties a delicious staple for all southern bites!!
Happy June 1st, Guys!!! How was your Memorial Day? Did you happen to try my Smoked Turkey Legs? I still just can’t get over the fact that I’ve actually mastered cured turkey legs!! Yum!!! It’s just gotta be ham!! I’m convinced!!! Not only did we enjoy these a bit more over the weekend, but I also got the pleasure of cooking for my Aunt Gail’s, mother-in-love and play sister, Naddie and Sha’. We enjoyed hanging out with them so much on Sunday afternoon!
They requested some of my favorite dishes, Will’s Favorite Beef Neck Bones, Southern Style Mac and Cheese, Turnip & Mustard Greens, Sweet Potato Casserole and Salted Caramel Apple Dump Cake. Oh! And of course, this easy and yummy Hot Water Cornbread!!! We all love it so!!
I must admit that I had never even heard of Hot Water Cornbread before I married my Southern Guy, WB! “What exactly is it?”, I asked him and he referred to it as a “cornbread patty”. Did I mention how happy I am that I married this guy? He certainly has introduced me to some fine southern cookin’!!
This Hot Water Cornbread is definitely a must when serving greens and pinto beans for sure!!! I’ve always been a Jiffy girl. Remember my story around the Sweet Potato Cornbread Muffins. But now, if it ain’t Jiffy, it MUST be this Hot Water Cornbread!!!
I prefer mine to be made with a cornmeal mix rather than just a cornmeal. The texture is just better in my opinion. I tend to use Aunt Jemima’s Buttermilk Cornmeal Mix when making this recipe. I’m droolin’!!!
Speaking of Hot Water…are you in it? Are you facing trouble? God’s Word says, Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. – John 14:27 (KJV). Seek the Father for peace of mind and speak to Him about it in prayer. Repent if necessary and know that God is our refuge and strength, always ready to help in times of trouble. – Psalm 46:1 (NLT). Say Grace and enjoy!!
- 1 c. buttermilk cornmeal mix
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 1 T. vegetable shortening
- 1 c. water (boiled)
- Vegetable or Canola Oil, for pan frying
- In a small bowl, mix cornmeal mix and sugar.
- Add shortening and boiling water; stir until all of the shortening melts.
- Pour enough oil to coat a large nonstick skillet and heat at medium-high heat.
- When the oil is hot enough for frying, drop spoonfuls of the mixture into the oil and flatten slightly.
- Fry for a couple minutes or until golden brown and flip to other side.
- Once second side is browned, drain the patties on paper towel. Say Grace and enjoy!!