Soft tacos made with tender filet mignon strips, tasty slaw, crumbly cotija cheese, tangy pickled red onions, fire roasted salsa and crema totally hit the Tex-Mex spot!
Well, we’re coming down the home stretch to Thanksgiving and with all of the hustle and bustle of all things “PREP”, I thought we’d have an easy Tex-Mex Thanksgiving Eve dinner, if you will. You already know how much I eat, breathe and think about bold Tex-Mex flavors. I’ve been wanting to recreate a delicious meal that Hubby and I enjoyed awhile back at a delightful newer local spot, Cafe ML. When we visited a few months back, my eyes became fixated on their Filet Mignon Tacos.
Oh were they ever delicious! The tender filet was cooked to medium just the way we like it and the tasty slaw, crumbly cotija cheese, tangy pickled onions, fire roasted salsa, and crema toppings totally hit the Tex-Mex spot. Needless to say, they made it to the recreation list. The added bonus is that they’re such a fast and easy dinner. With the exception of pickling the onions, these tender tacos were ready in just under 20 minutes. You just can’t beat that, right! FAST AND TASTY! What a winner!!! I can throw these together without getting off track from my Thanksgiving preparations as I’m elbow deep in sweet potato pies and cheesecake bars. What are you prepping today?!?!
As you gather with family and friends tomorrow, I pray that you remember to give thanks unto the Lord; for He is good: because his mercy endureth forever. Psalm 118:1 (KJV). Have a blessed Thanksgiving, guys!! Say Grace and enjoy!
- 2 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 4 beef tenderloin filets
- kosher salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- cumin, to taste
- chili powder, to taste
- garlic powder, to taste
- 6 flour tortillas, fajita sized
- 2 c. shredded cabbage
- ½ lime, juiced
- salt, to taste
- Mexican Crema, garnish
- Fire Roasted salsa, garnish
- Cotija Cheese, garnish
- Pickled Onions (recipe)
- ½ red onion, sliced
- ¾ tsp. kosher salt
- 1 and ½ tsp. sugar
- ¼ c. apple cider vinegar
- Add all pickled onion ingredients to a bowl and combine well. Allow flavors to meld at room temperature for a minimum of 1 hour.
- Place cabbage in a small bowl and mix with lime juice and salt to taste.
- Heat grill pan on medium-high heat with olive oil.
- While pan is heating, season filets on both sides with desired amounts of salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder and garlic powder.
- Grill steaks for about 5 minutes on each side for medium (pink center).
- While steaks are grilling, heat tortillas individually in an ungreased skillet on medium-high for 10 seconds on each side.
- Remove the steaks from the heat and allow them to rest for a few minutes so the juices can redistribute. Slice steaks into thin strips.
- Top each tortilla with ⅓ c. of slaw, a few strips of steak, crema, salsa, cotija and onions. Say Grace and enjoy!