Winnie’s Nigerian Spaghetti is full of curry, ginger and garlic flavor. This healthy dinner choice is ready in under 30 minutes and its HEAT is sure to kick you right in the taste buds!
It may be cold outside but it’s sho-nuff warm in my kitchen and on my taste buds thanks to my Nigerian girlfriend, Winnie stopping by! Winnie is so full of life and flavor if you will!! Hubby and I attended a fellowship at Winnie’s home some years back where she served a delicious Nigerian spread. One of my favorites was her spicy and flavorful Nigerian spaghetti! Well, I’ve been begging her for the recipe for YEARS and she finally came by to teach me how to make this spicy dish. So if you’re into spicy HOT foods like us, then Winnie’s Nigerian Spaghetti is a must try guys!!
Ok. So Winnie’s just not into the tomato based spaghetti so she probably would have nothing to do with my Skillet Turkey Spaghetti or even my Jumbo Mozzarella Stuffed Meatball. But let me tell you I am definitely into her style of cooking. I just love when dishes are full of flavor (life) because there is nothing worse than wasting calories on tasteless bland food in my opinion. It should wake up those taste buds and bring life to the party!!!
Winnie’s choice is African curry powder because of the deep color and aroma that it brings but she says you can use the curry of your choice. AND it’s not a REAL party unless you’re bringing the HEAT with habenero chili pepper. OH MY!!! This pepper ranges between 150,000 and 300,000 Scoville Heat Units (SHU)!!! If you need a comparison, the jalapeno is a mere 2,500-8,000 SHU. Does that help? Lol! Do you think you can you take the heat? If not, try seeding the pepper first as that’s where most of the heat lies. Winnie’s Nigerian Spaghetti is definitely not for the faint of heart. Lol! So spicy food lovers ONLY…I encourage you to try it today!!!
Are you enjoying life? John 10:10 (AMP) states, “The thief comes only in order to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have and enjoy life, and have it in abundance [to the full, till it overflows].” His will is that we live with joy in abundance!! YES! Even when we’re not exactly where we want to be in life. Enjoy where God has you in life RIGHT NOW!! Rejoice in Him for He is the one the fulfills ALL of our petitions and desires regarding this life. Amen! Say Grace and enjoy!! 🙂
- 1 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 T. kosher salt
- 1 lb. spaghetti
- ½ c. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 c. diced red onion, divided
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3 T. grated ginger
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 habenero pepper, minced (if you're nervous about heat, leave out the seeds)
- 1 T. Old Bay seasoning
- 3 T. Chief Curry Powder
- 1 chicken bouillon cube, crushed
- 20-24 oz. bag California Blend mixed vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots)
- ½ c. reserved starchy water
- Cook spaghetti in salted water and 1 T. olive oil until al dente. Reserve ½ cup of starchy cooking water. Drain the rest and set aside.
- In a wok, heat olive oil and sauté ½ c. red onion, ginger and garlic for a couple of minutes on medium-high heat.
- Add ground turkey, Old Bay, habenero peppers, curry powder, chicken bouillon. Mix together and cook for about 7 minutes or until turkey is cooked through.
- Add cooked spaghetti, mixed vegetables, remaining red onion and starchy cooking water. Heat through. Toss well to coat and adjust salt, if needed. Say Grace and enjoy!
Adapted from Winnie’s recipe