Your summer classic pasta salad with a Tex-Mex twist! Serve this Tex-Mex Chicken Pasta Salad at your next shin-dig and your guests will be begging for more!
Ok. Tex-Mex Foodie Lover checking in once again! I realized that summer was quickly passing me by and I hadn’t posted a pasta salad recipe. Who doesn’t love a classic pasta salad?? Ok. Go ahead and raise your hand if you don’t (hubby included). 🙂 I enjoy them all wholeheartedly…Traditional, Greek and now Tex-Mex!! Tex-Mex Chicken Pasta Salad to be exact. Oh how I loved each bite of this tasty salad! I had to hide it all the way in the back of the fridge so that I wouldn’t be tempted to eat the entire bowl meant to serve at least 12. 🙂
I combine all of the traditional, yummy Tex-Mex flavors with chicken and pasta to create an entire summer meal. You’ve got your protein, your starch and your veggies conveniently served together so it’s no must and no fuss! Served either room temperature or chilled, this is an easy “go to” meal in the dog days of summer when you don’t need a hot oven on all day to prepare lunch or even dinner.
Remember when I said that hubby isn’t a big fan of pasta salad? Well he’s a big fan of this version! He said that it was a lot better than he expected as pasta salads go! SCORE! Sweet! I love it when I surprise him! 🙂 It’ bursting with lots of flavor which is probably why he enjoyed it so much! I combined orrecchiete pasta with roasted chicken breast. By the way…make sure that you roast your bone in skin on chicken breast in the oven for the moistest chicken you’ve ever had IN LIFE. I always prepare my chicken this way when I need it in any dish. It’s the way to go guys!
Ok, where were we? I combined orrecchiete pasta with roasted chicken breast, grilled corn, black beans, fresh tomatoes, red and green onion, green chiles, orange pepper (ok, not traditional but I loved the color and the added CRUNCH 🙂 ) and of course, cheese. What’s Tex-Mex without cheese, right?!?! Yummy!! I then tossed it in a salsa and sour cream based dressing and it took this dish right over the top! Soooo good guys! Serve this Tex-Mex Chicken Pasta Salad at your next summer shin-dig and your guests will be begging for more! Yep, I said shin-dig!! Am I giving away my age here? Say Grace and enjoy!! 🙂
Tex-Mex Chicken Pasta Salad
- 2 chicken breasts skin on and bone in
- kosher salt
- chili powder
- 1 lb. orecchiette pasta cooked and drained
- 2 corn ears grilled and kernels removed from cob
- 1 can black beans
- 2 c. grape tomatoes quartered
- 1/2 orange bell pepper diced
- 3 green onion sliced
- 1/4 c. red onion diced
- 4 oz. can green chiles diced
- 2 c. cheddar jack cheese cubed
- 1 c. salsa medium ( I always use Jack's Special)
- 1 c. sour cream
- 1/4 c. mayonnaise
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lime juiced
- Season both sides of chicken breast generously with kosher salt and pepper. Then sprinkle with cumin and chili powder (to your liking).
- Roast in a 375 degree oven for 35-45 minutes (depending on the size of your breasts) or until juices run clear. When cool enough to handle, remove from the bone and then remove the skin. Now dice into bite sized pieces. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk the salsa, sour cream, mayo, garlic, chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper and lime juice until well combined.
- In another bowl, toss in the chicken, orecchiette, corn, beans, tomatoes, orange bell pepper, green onion, red onion, chiles and cheese. Pour most of the dressing over the pasta and toss until combined well.
- Serve at room temperature with remaining dressing if needed. Say Grace and enjoy!
Adapted from Pioneer Woman’s Mexican Macaroni Salad