These fresh and delicious Southern Style Green Beans with Smoked Turkey are chock full of flavor and sure to please the entire family!
Happy Grill Season, Folks!!! How were your Memorial Day celebrations? We had a blast with family and friends enjoying some classics like Smoked Pulled Beef, Oh My Lamb Loin Chops!, Mighty Tender Beef Ribs, Momma’s Potato Salad and Peach Dump Pie. We also decided to switch things up and serve Southern Style Mac and Cheese. Well, someone told me that since I was preparing ribs that I just had to make mac and cheese and I was totally taken a back because I simply never heard of such a combo! Then I further stated that if I’m serving Mac and Cheese then I just have to serve Turnip & Mustard Greens and these Southern Style Green Beans with Smoked Turkey. Lol! Preparing a soul food spread for Memorial Day is such a new concept to me but it made total sense when I put my plate together!! Lol!!
Now, I normally would have prepared these Southern Style Green Beans with onions but since I’m sensitive to onions, I decided to use leeks and they were still quite fabulous!! The smoked turkey adds so much flavor and I could not stop eating ’em. I made things easy by cooking these Southern Style Green Beans with Smoked Turkey in the oven rather than the stove top and everyone really enjoyed them.
Well, I had to reveal something that I wasn’t quite ready to do this week. It was as if God wanted to show Himself strong in my life. I began to wonder why He would do such a thing because I felt as if it was unnecessary added pressure on myself. God spoke to me and said that the pressure wasn’t supposed to be on me but rather on Him and that He could handle it. I was completely dumbfounded and I realized that this is exactly how things should play out in our lives. We are supposed to trust and cast all of our cares on Him in all areas of our lives and not allow His responsibility to become ours for God’s grace is sufficient!! Yes, Lord Your grace is sufficient for me. Say Grace and enjoy!!
Southern Style Green Beans with Smoked Turkey
- 1.5 lb. smoked turkey leg
- 2 lb. fresh green beans ends removed
- 1 lg. leek cleaned and sliced thin
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 5 c. leftover turkey broth
- 14 oz. can Mexican Style Stewed Tomatoes
- 4 T. butter or ghee
- Place the smoked turkey in a large pot over medium-high heat, and cover with water.
- Boil the turkey for about 2 hours adding more water to keep the turkey leg covered.
- After the turkey is completely cooked and falling off the bone, remove from the pot and reserve the cooking broth.
- Remove the meat from the bone
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Using a 10x13 baking dish, combine the green beans, smoked turkey, leeks, garlic, stewed tomatoes, and butter, pepper, and 5 cups of reserved cooking broth.
- Braise in the oven for 2-2.5 hours or until tender. Say Grace and enjoy!