The Japanese White Sweet Potato meets the all-stars of Tex-Mex cuisine!!
Ok. You guys already know how obsessed I am with the sweet potato, right?!?!? If you haven’t already noticed, I have several sweet potato recipes here that are sure to satisfy the sweetest of “sweet tooths” but I wanted to take a stab at making something savory using my favorite root vegetable. I’ve been shopping a bit more at Whole Foods lately and I stumbled upon this Japanese White Sweet Potato. Now I just simply thought it was a regular orange sweet potato and it never crossed my mind that some sweet potatoes are indeed white on the inside. I’m sure you already knew that though.
After roasting it and slicing into it, I actually thought that I had picked up a regular potato that had tricked me into believing that it was sweet because of the skin color. I was so disappointed!!! WONK WONK WONK!!! Then I decided to just taste it anyway and I was pleasantly surprised at the hint of sweetness. I didn’t find it to be as sweet as the more popular orange sweet potato so it would be even better to incorporate it into a savory sweet potato dish. SCORE!!!
I decided to stuff these white sweet potatoes with my all time favorite cuisine. You guessed it!! Tex-Mex!! These Turkey Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes are stuffed with Mexican-style ground turkey, ooey-gooey cheese, salsa, lettuce, tomato, avocado, jalapenos…..oh and you can’t forget sour cream!!! The ultimate Tex-Mex topping!!! Yea baby!!! This sweet and spicy combo was a delicious treat without the guilt of a typical white potato. I am officially STUFFED and GUILT FREE!!! Romans 8:1 and 2 Corinthians 5:17…Say Grace and enjoy!
Be sure to try my other delicious sweet potato recipes!!
Sweet Potato Cornbread Muffins
Sweet Potato Blondies with Cream Cheese Frosting
Sweet Potato Pecan Pancakes with a Praline Butter
Sweet Potato French Toast Casserole
Turkey Taco Stuffed White Sweet Potato
- 4 large white sweet potaotes
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 can diced chiles
- 4 T. salsa
- 1 T. chili powder
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. crushed rep pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp. oregano
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1 and 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1 and 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- Cumin for sprinkling into potato
- Fresh squeeze lime juice for sprinkling into potato
- Cheese topping
- Diced tomato topping
- salsa topping
- lettuce topping
- avocado topping
- jalapeno topping
- sour cream topping
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Roast potatoes on baking sheet for 60-75 minutes or until tender.
- While potatoes are roasting, cook turkey over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Once almost done, add the onion and saute until translucent.
- Add chiles, salsa, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, crushed rep pepper flakes, oregano
- paprika, cumin, salt, pepper. Mix well.
- Slice potatoes open to create a pocket. Sprinkle cumin and lime juice on the flesh of the potatoes.
- Top each potato with 1/4 lb. of turkey mixture and desired toppings. Say Grace and enjoy!!
Lisa C says
Lol Same thing happened to me at Whole Foods except I didn’t see name until I checked my receipt after I cut into them and found out they were white! I actually ended up making a sweet potato and apple cinnamon crunch with them. Lol I just made up the recipe and gave it a go and it turned out pretty good! Thanks for sharing this great looking recipe!
We were pleasantly surprised!! Your sweet potato apple cinnamon crunch idea sounds amazing! Thanks for stopping by!!