Roasted sweet potatoes combined with charred jalapeño and maple syrup make the perfect savory accompaniment to any main dish.
A friend of mine told me about some jalapeno mashed sweet potatoes that she experienced at a local restaurant. She described them as a little sweet a little heat and super creamy. Now you know how much my family and I just love the sweet potato right? Now you know how much my family and I just love the sweet potato right? Mama and I wasted no time sampling these jalapeno mashed sweet potatoes dish.
Fenton Fire Hall made it easy to replicate these jalapeno mashed sweet potatoes. Their menu described it as sweet potato mash with charred jalapeno and Michigan maple syrup. Score for sweet heat!!! All I needed to do was fill in the blanks. I added butter and heavy whipping cream to create a creamy mashed sweet potato texture. I also garnished them with bacon to deepen the smokiness of the side dish. The result was nothing short of amazing! In fact Hubby, Momma and Daddy thought this recipe was certainly better than the original.
This savory jalapeno mashed sweet potato side dish would be great paired with my balsamic glazed salmon and sauteed spinach recipe. The sweet and spicy elements make the perfect pair. Speaking of the perfect pair reminds me of faith and patience. Now faith is believing and patience is continuing to believe. My desire is for God’s perfect will to happen at His defined time. This requires faith and patience and we know that this perfect pair of “faith and patience inherit the promises.” -Hebrews 6:12 (KJV). So don’t throw away your faith for God’s Word says, “So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up.” – Galatians 6:9 (NLT). Say Grace and enjoy!!
Jalapeno Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- 4 small sweet potatoes
- 2 jalapenos
- 3 T. butter
- 1/4 c. heavy cream
- 2 tsp. maple syrup
- 1/4/ tsp. kosher salt
- 4 slices bacon cooked and chopped (garnish)
- green onions sliced (garnish)
- Set oven to broil.
- Cut the tops of the jalapenos off and slice peppers in half. Remove the membrane and seeds.
- Place the peppers cut side down and roast under the broiler for about 7-10 minutes. Heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place peppers in a plastic bag and seal. Allow to steam for 20 minutes.
- Remove the charred skins from the peppers and chop finely.
- Bake pricked sweet potatoes on a baking sheet for about 40 minutes or until very tender.
- Scoop potato flesh out of skins and place in a medium bowl with chopped jalapenos, butter, cream, maple syrup and salt. Mix well with an electric mixture until creamy.
- If desired, spoon mixture back into 2 potato skins. Garnish with bacon and green onions. Say Grace and enjoy!!
Adapted from Fenton Fire Hall