Tex-Mex style ground beef, ooey gooey cheese sauce, tomatoes, sour cream, tortilla strips, and jalapenos blanket an all American quarter pound beef hot dog !!
Happy National Hot Dog Day! Oh how I love this summertime favorite! But not just any ole hot dog. This quintessential summer food has gotta be all beef and it’s certainly gotta be the Hebrew National brand! Maybe you call me a hot dog snob? So be it!!! I receive it, wholeheartedly! It is what it is! 🙂
We decided to commemorate this special day with Mexican Style Hot Dogs. Remember that I’m a Tex-Mex Foodie Lover so I’m always up for putting this spin on any food…the lowly hot dog included!! 🙂 Maybe it’s the beef? Or the ooey gooey cheese? Maybe the spicy jalapenos cooled by the rich and tangy sour cream? Whatever the reason that my palette is drawn to it…I gotta have my Tex-Mex flavors and I gotta have them weekly. 🙂
These Mexican Style Hot Dogs are loaded with taco seasoned ground beef, refried beans, onions, taco sauce and garnished with cheese sauce, jalapenos, tomatoes and sour cream. I even threw some tortilla strips on some for good measure! This added a fun element of crunch. This mouthwatering combination of traditional Tex-Mex spices and flavors all wrapped in a classic hot dog bun made me want to break out in song AND dance. Hot Diggety Dog!!!!! Pure comfort food in a bun! Score!!! 🙂
July is all about hot dogs as they are celebrated all month long. So Happy Hot Dog Month as well! What tasty combinations and spins will you come up with? Not so lowly anymore, right? Say Grace and enjoy!!
Homemade Taco Seasoning Recipe – (makes 3 Tablespoons)
1 T. chili powder
1 and ¼ tsp. garlic powder
1 and ¼ tsp. onion powder
¼ tsp. crushed red pepper (optional)
¼ tsp. dried oregano
¾ tsp. paprika
1 and ½ tsp. cumin
1 tsp. black pepper
Mexican Style Hot Dogs
- 4 jumbo beef hot dogs grilled, steamed or boiled (I grilled mine)
- 4 to p loading hot dog buns
- 1/2 lb. ground beef
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 1/4 c. refried beans with chiles
- 1/4 c. taco sauce
- 1/2 c. beef broth
- 1 and 1/2 T. homemade taco seasoning
- kosher salt to taste
- Cheese Sauce
- 1 T. butter
- 1 T. flour
- 1/3 cup half and half
- 1/3 cup chicken stock
- 2/3 cup four cheese Mexican blend
- kosher salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- siracha dash to taste
- jalapenos garnish
- tomatoes garnish
- sour cream garnish
- In a small skillet preheated over medium to medium high heat, crumble ground beef and brown for about 3 minutes.
- Then add the onions and cook for another 5 minutes. Drain.
- Stir in the taco seasoning, refried beans and taco sauce. Salt to taste and stir in beef broth.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer until ready to serve.
- In a small pot, add butter. Melt over medium to high heat, and add flour and cook it for about a minute.
- Whisk in half and half, chicken stock and bring it to a boil.
- Wait for the mixture to thicken and remove the pot from the heat and add in the cheese.
- Salt and pepper cheese sauce to taste. Add dashes of siracha here if desired.
- Assemble the hot dogs into the buns and scoop about 1/4 cup of ground beef over the hot dog, a couple T. of cheese sauce, and garnish as you wish. Say Grace and enjoy!!