This low sodium green bean casserole starts with a homemade cream of mushroom soup and gets topped with delicious crispy fried onions.
Happy “8 Days Before Thanksgiving”!!! Are you getting just as excited as I am???? Despite all of today’s challenges, we’re still gonna eat real good!!! Thanksgiving just couldn’t arrive fast enough this year!!! We’re having Cajun Turkey Wings, Momma’s Cornbread Dressing with Turkey Gravy, Southern Style Macaroni and Cheese, Auntee Gail’s Turnip Greens, Candied Yams, Rosemary & Garlic Dinner Rolls, Homemade Cranberry Sauce, Sweet Potato Pecan Pie and this yummy Green Bean Casserole. I could just CRY in ANTICIPATION!!!
Do you guys enjoy Green Bean Casserole? I never really had it growing up but I certainly love it now!! But not the classic one with the canned cream of mushroom soup. I enjoy it most when the green beans are fresh, when the mushroom soup is made from scratch and when it’s straight from the oven to the table. YES!!! I love that when you use fresh ingredients, you can control the sodium and enjoy a delicious Low Sodium Green Bean Casserole that’s a little healthier for everyone.
HOW TO MAKE GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE
This Low Sodium Green Bean Casserole definitely wins by a landslide when you compare it to the classic version with canned beans and canned soup. Aside from the canned fried onions, this low sodium green bean casserole is totally made from scratch (LOVE). I have tried making this recipe with home crispy fried onions but they never come out quite as crispy as the store bought fried onions. That crunch is pretty impressive!!
It comes together so quickly and can be made a day ahead for the most part. When you’re ready to serve, just top it with the onions and pop it in the oven for 20 minutes. It’s just that simple!!
I hope this tasty dish makes it to your table next week. You certainly won’t be disappointed!! I’ll actually be back again next week to share another yummy recipe for Thanksgiving Punch that I’m sure you’ll enjoy as well during the holiday weekend! Say Grace and enjoy!!
Low Sodium Green Bean Casserole
- 2 T kosher salt
- 1 and 1/3 pound fresh green beans ends trimmed and snapped in half
- 2 T butter
- 12 ounces mixed bella, shitake, oyster mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp cajun seasoning
- 1 tsp kosher
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 T flour
- 1 c chicken broth
- 1 c half-and-half
- 1 1/2 c crispy fried onions divided
- Bring a large pot of water (about 2 quarts) to a boil with 2 T. kosher salt (large flake). Add the beans and boil for 5 minutes. Drain in a colander and place beans in a large bowl of ice water. Drain and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, 1 teaspoon salt and pepper and cook the mushrooms for about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, nutmeg, cajun seasoning and continue to cook for another couple minutes.
- Add the flour and stir to combine. Cook for about a minute. Add the broth and simmer for a minute. Decrease the heat to medium-low and add the half-and-half. Cook until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon.
- Remove from the heat and stir in 1/2 cup of the onions and the green beans. Top with the remaining cup of onions. Place in a 400 degree oven and bake for about 20 minutes. Say Grace and enjoy immediately!
Adapted from Alton Brown