Thick croissant style bread layered with tender ham, roasted turkey, and nutty Gruyere cheese. Pan fried gently like French toast and coated with powdered sugar. This classic sandwich is served best with raspberry preserves for dipping.
Do you remember the infamous Monte Cristo Sandwich served at Bennigan’s. It was always the talk of the town when I was growing up. Yes! It was deep fried perfection!!! If you’ve never enjoyed one, you are certainly in for a wonderful treat. It’s basically just a super sophisticated ham and cheese sandwich.
This yummy variation of the Croque-monsieur, the Monte Cristo is made with ham, cheese, Dijon mustard, and mayo, then it’s dipped in an eggwash and pan fried just like decadent french toast.
The Bennigan’s version is fully battered and deep fried. My version is pan fried which makes it super simple and easy to make right at home.
Croissant Toast Bread – This bread is on another level. It’s buttery, it’s flakey, it’s simply a must!!
Deli Sliced Meat – You’ll need both ham and turkey. I just used the pre-sliced kind but you can always just use what you have on hand.
Gruyere Cheese – I love it because of it’s rich and nutty.
Milk & Eggs – Just like a French toast batter without the cinnamon and sugar.
Dijon Mustard, Mayo, Raspberry Preserves and Powdered Sugar – they all complement each other well to create that perfect sweet and tangy bite.
HOW TO MAKE A MONTE CRISTO SANDWICH AT HOME
- Take two slices of croissant toast bread and spread one side with softened butter and the other side with the mayo mustard mixture.
- Add 1/2 cup of shredded Gruyere and then slices of warm ham and turkey on top then cover with the remaining cheese and top with the other slice of bread (butter side up). Weight it down with a cast iron skillet. In a nonstick pan over medium to low heat, add butter to melt.
- Using a shallow dish, add the eggs and milk and then whisk them until the egg whites and yolks are fully incorporated. Dip the sandwiches in the egg mixture on both sides. Once the butter has been melted, fry on both sides for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown. Garnish with powdered sugar and serve with raspberry preserves.
This sweet and savory sandwich can be enjoyed for breakfast, lunch or dinner and can be made ahead of time. When you’re ready to serve, just dip in the egg mixture, pan fry for your guests and serve immediately. This delicious Monte Cristo Sandwich is great for inviting that unfamiliar guests over after church who might be longing for that Word of comfort.
CHRIST CENTERED HOSPITALITY
We chatted about hospitality done God’s way over on Instagram yesterday…
Christ Centered Hospitality isn’t about us. It’s just that…Christ Centered. You don’t need a spectacular house or a new couch. You know why? Because God wants the spotlight. Who cares if things are perfect when others are searching for Truth, strength and grace from Jesus?!?
Christ Centered Hospitality doesn’t sound like:
🚫 “I need a larger house.”
🚫 “I need a new dining table.”
🚫 “My house isn’t clean enough.”
🚫 “My home isn’t perfect.”
🚫 “I don’t feel like it.”
🚫 “I need to be a better cook.”
🚫 Anxiety ridden (Martha Syndrome)
I’m not referring to entertaining here. The Lord has called us to Love Unconditionally, Gather with the familiar AS WELL AS the unfamiliar, and Feast in the natural but more importantly…Feast together on the Good News of the Gospel.
Jesus is our living, breathing example. When we are filled with Him, others around us get the overflow from our hearts.
What hospitality done God’s way really is…
☑️God led and directed
☑️Listening to the needs of others who have a different story
☑️Giving through an element of sacrifice
☑️The Tangible love of Jesus
☑️Filling up and serving a yummy bowl of blessings from the Lord
Hospitality done God’s Way is not only a commandment but a true joy and pleasure to see how God uses it for His Glory and Kingdom.
Here’s an encouragement to open your hearts and homes for someone in need who might be longing for that Word of comfort along with a happy belly. Let’s model Jesus to the unfamiliar today! Say Grace and enjoy!!
How To Make a Monte Cristo Sandwich at Home
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 c milk
- 8 slices Croissant Toast Bread
- 1/4 c dijon mustard
- 1/4 c mayo
- 1 lb. deli ham 12 slices warmed through
- 1 lb. deli turkey 12 slices warmed through
- 16 oz Gruyere cheese shredded
- 1 stick butter softened
- powdered sugar garnish
- raspberry preserves for serving
- Beat eggs in a shallow dish (large enough to fit a sandwich). Set aside inside fridge.
- Mix mustard and mayo together in a small dish.
- Assemble sandwiches, spread butter on one side of each slice of bread and mustard and mayo mixture on the other side. Add 1/2 cup of cheese, ham, turkey, and other 1/2 cup of cheese. Compress sandwich with heavy cast iron skillet.
- Heat skillet over medium heat. Add 1 T butter; allow to melt.
- Coat each sandwich in beaten egg, and place in skillet over low to medium heat. Cook sandwiches 3-4 minutes on each side, until browned and cheese has melted. Repeat with remaining sandwiches.
- Sprinkle each sandwich with powdered sugar and serve with raspberry preserves. Say Grace and enjoy.
Inspired by Bennigan’s.