Moist layers of dark chocolate cupcakes frosted with a decadent vanilla bean buttercream frosting makes for the perfect chocolate cake in a jar recipe!
Howdy Folks!! Missed you last week!! Due to my frantic lifestyle, I needed to make some posting schedule changes so that I could have more time for some good ole R&R on the weekends (to enjoy this chocolate cake in a jar recipe ? ).
This recipe was actually born out of a recipe failure. I was using my Jumbo Chocolate Muffins recipe to make cupcakes like my German Chocolate Surprise Cupcakes. I decided to use slightly larger cupcake liners and then the bottom fell out. These tasty cupcakes rose so much that they ran into some of the empty cupcake wells. Lol!!! Yikes!!! Needless to say I couldn’t use them. So this chocolate cake in a jar recipe was born. They are perfectly moist and the vanilla bean buttercream frosting makes a nice touch. Think of soft Oreos in a jar!!! Yeah! That’s it!! Who doesn’t love a good Oreo?
Well, I’m looking forward to some much needed rest and relaxation on the weekends in the next coming months. It’s important for us to take some time to rest and recharge ourselves so that we can be better instruments for the Kingdom of God. We simply cannot be everything to everyone at all times. His Word says, Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. Matthew 11:28-29 (KJV). Spending more time in God’s presence will allow rest for the weary and fullness of joy! ? Say Grace and enjoy!!
Chocolate Cake In A Jar With Vanilla Bean Buttercream Frosting
- 2 1/4 c. all purpose flour
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- ¾ tsp. baking soda
- ¾ tsp. fine sea salt
- 12 T. unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup plus 2 T. Dutch process cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups muscavado light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups dark roast brewed coffee room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk room temperature
- 3 eggs room temperature
- 1 T. Say Grace Vanilla Extract
Vanilla Bean Buttercream Frosting
- 2 cup of unsalted butter room temperature
- 6 cups of confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 T. Say Grace Vanilla Extract
To make the cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and line muffin tins with liners.In a large bowl, toss flour, baking powder, baking soda, and fine sea salt. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat and whisk in Dutch process cocoa powder and cook for about a minute. Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in both sugars.
- Add in coffee, buttermilk , eggs and vanilla beans and whisk until smooth. Pour the chocolate mixture into the flour mixture and stir until combined.
- Divide the batter between 32 cavities. Fill any unused cavities halfway full with water for even baking.
- Bake for about 18-20 minutes or until there are just a few moist crumbs picked up with a toothpick. Let the cupcakes cool on a baking rack for 15 minutes to set.
To make the jars:
- Slice all of the cupcakes in half and place a halved cake in the bottom of 16 mason jars.
- Pipe about 1 T. of icing on top of the cakes. Repeat 3 more times ending with icing.