Moist dark chocolate cake filled with sweetened chocolate ganache gets topped with homemade chocolate whipped cream and chopped roasted almonds to make a big impression on your Valentine’s Day sweetie this year!!
Hey Folks!! Yeaaa! It’s Valentine’s Day Eve!!! What do you have planned? Bummer that it falls during the week as I’m traveling of course. So this past weekend, I made hubby this decadent Triple Chocolate Poke Cake. Oh my yum!!! We all know that chocolate and Valentine’s Day go hand in hand. After all, what’s Valentine’s Day without it, right?!?!? Well at least in my mind it’s a great excuse to enjoy more than your average day or serving of chocolate. 🙂
I read somewhere that chocolate is a love, passion, care and friendship gift. It went on to say that chocolate produces the chemical dopamine in the brain which triggers relaxation, comfort, joy.
Wow!!! I had three pieces of this decadent Triple Chocolate Poke Cake!!! One for the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost!! Lol!! After all, the Lord wants us to enjoy life, right? Ok, ok…they were 3 modest pieces!!!!
I can tell you now, that chemical dopamine is in full effect!! I am relaxed, comforted and joyful. I was able to share this Triple Chocolate Poke Cake with many friends this weekend and they would definitely agree!!
Speaking of relaxation, comfort and joy which sounds like “The Blessing” to me. Matthew 5:4 (NLT) states, “God blesses those who mourn, for they will be comforted. It goes on to read, 12 Be happy about it! Be very glad! For a great reward awaits you in heaven.”
So although this yummy Triple Chocolate Poke Cake can certainly give you some small level of relaxation, comfort and joy, the Lord Jesus can ultimately fulfill our every need to the fullest (with abundance) if we allow Him. I thank God that He fulfills my every need and desire according to His Word. Amen? Have a Happy Valentine’s Day, Folks! Say Grace and enjoy!!
Triple Chocolate Poke Cake
- Dark Chocolate Cake
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 1/2 c. vegetable oil
- 1 c. buttermilk room temperature
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 c. unsweetened cocoa powder. I use Droste.
- 2 c. sugar
- 1 c. strong coffee
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 c. semi sweet chocolate chips. I use Ghirardelli.
- Chocolate Whipped Cream
- 2 c. heavy whipping cream super cold
- 1/2 c. powdered sugar sifted
- 6 T. unsweetened cocoa powder sifted. I use Droste.
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Chocolate Syrup garnish
- Mini chocolate chips garnish
- 1/2 c. roasted almonds chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and kosher salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix the buttermilk, vegetable oil, eggs, and vanilla.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry with a low mixing speed. Add the coffee and stir just to combine. Be sure to scrape down the ides of the bowl.
- Pour the batter into a 10X13 pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until toothpick is removed clean.
- While the cake is still warm, with a wooden spoon handle poke several holes all over the cake.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, combine sweetened condensed milk with semi sweet chocolate chips. Stir until chips have melted completely.
- Pour chocolate sauce over the entire cake. Making sure to get it down into the holes.
- Cool cake completely and then refrigerate until chilled.
- Make the chocolate whipped cream - Chill bowl and beaters in the freezer for 10 minutes. Using an electric mixer, beat cream on medium-high until it starts to thicken.
- Add sifted powdered sugar, sifted cocoa powder and vanilla. Lower the speed to medium and beat until soft peaks form.
- Spread the whipped cream over chilled cake.
- Garnish with chocolate sauce, mini chocolate chips and roasted almonds. Say Grace and enjoy!
Chocolate Cake mix recipe adapted from I Am Baker