This southern fried cabbage with bacon is delicious and super easy to make with just a few simple ingredients. Plus it’s Low Carb and Keto approved!!
Hey Folks! I’m just now realizing that I never posted my favorite southern fried cabbage with bacon recipe.
When I was growing up, momma made cabbage quite often. In fact, I think we had it more often than greens which is probably why I have such a fondness for it. It was super inexpensive and we enjoyed it a lot.
We never put many peppers in it until Uncle Jimmie served me some of his over 20 years ago and I’ve been adding red, orange and yellow bell peppers ever since. Makes the dish such a beauty to behold!!!
WHAT IS SOUTHERN FRIED CABBAGE?
It’s an southern, soul food side dish that’s made by pan-frying cabbage in bacon grease with onions and spices and is usually served with cornbread. I add butter only because it turns the dish into pure heaven in a bowl. 🙂
HOW TO COOK SOUTHERN, SOUL FOOD STYLE, FRIED CABBAGE WITH BACON, PEPPERS AND ONIONS
HOW DO YOU PAN FRY CABBAGE?
This fried cabbage starts with a flavor base of bacon grease, onions and peppers. It gets seasoned and coated in luscious butter, topped with thick sliced bacon pieces and dare I say is the best I’ve ever had!!! Hubby agrees!!
I love using the Kirkland Organic No-Salt Seasoning from my local Costco store and then I spice things up with some crushed red pepper for heat. However, this is completely optional if you’re not into that sorta thing. 🙂
I like to serve my southern fried cabbage with cornbread and smothered pork chops or cajun turkey wings. I certainly hope you’ll give this flavorful southern fried cabbage with bacon a try. Say Grace and enjoy!!
Southern Fried Cabbage with Bacon
- 5 slices thick cut bacon
- 1 medium head of cabbage core removed and sliced thin
- 1 red bell pepper sliced
- 1 orange bell pepper sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper sliced
- 1 medium sweet onion sliced
- 1 stick butter
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper optional
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 2 tsp Kirkland No Salt Seasoning
- Place the bacon strips into a large dutch oven pan over medium-high heat.
- Cook the bacon for about 10 minutes or until it's browned, crisp and most of the fat is rendered.
- Remove the bacon and set aside.
- Add the peppers and onions and fry for a few minutes until slightly tender
- Add the cabbage to the pan and continue to cook for another 10 minutes
- Add the Kirkland seasoning, salt, and crushed pepper.
- Cook for another 5 minutes or so, then add the butter and stir until the dish is well coated. Chop the cooked bacon and combine with the cabbage. Say Grace and enjoy!