The traditional carrot cupcake goes tropical with tangy-sweet pineapple, raisins, toasted coconut and pecans.
Ok. I know exactly what you’re thinking! It’s the beginning of October and she’s still talking about all things tropical? I guess I’m just not quite ready for fall? After all, I still refuse to put socks on and actually cover my ankles. I’ve just got the tropics on my mind, guys. Tropical vacay cometh to me!!! 🙂
In the meantime, these tropical carrot cupcakes do a great job of incorporating some of those yummy tropical flavors that we all know and love! Well. At least what I know and love. I love carrot cake but not just any carrot cake guys! I’m always sure to toss in pineapple, coconut, raisins and pecans. These added elements take these moist cupcakes from good to awesome, in my honest opinion! In others opinions as well…I took these to an event this past weekend and they were gone in a flash! Everyone kept commenting on how deliciously moist they were.
Now some may even say that these aren’t traditional carrot cupcakes so therefore, I found it fitting to just rename them, Tropical Carrot Cupcakes. So now these yummy treats are on one accord with my great desire to be on someone’s tropical island. Right? Feel free to call them what you want! Carrot Cupcakes…Tropical Carrot Cupcakes or just plain ole, Yummy Cupcakes. Just try them! They are sure to bring you some element of joy!
However, I’m thankful to God for the fullness of joy that only He can provide us within His very presence. For His Word says, Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore. Psalm 16:11 (KJV). Say Grace and enjoy!!
- 3 sticks, unsalted butter
- 2 c. granulated sugar
- 2 c. all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- ⅛ tsp. allspice
- 1 tsp. salt
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 c. carrots, grated (about 3 lg. carrots)
- 1 c. pecans, chopped, toasted
- ⅔ c. sweetened coconut
- 1 c. pineapple, crushed
- ⅓ c. raisins
- Pecan Cream Cheese Icing:
- 2 (8 oz.) cream cheese bars, cold
- 1 and ½ stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 c. powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped (or 1 T. vanilla extract)
- 1 c. pecans, chopped, toasted
- To make the cake: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and place 30 liners into 3 cupcake pans
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and salt.
- Place butter in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment on high for about a minute.
- Add sugar and continue to beat them together until creamed for about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the dry ingredients incrementally alternating with the eggs only one at a time just until the yellow disappears beginning and ending with the dry.
- Add the vanilla and mix.
- Add the carrots, coconut, pineapple, raisins and walnuts. Stir until completely incorporated.
- Scoop batter into cupcake wells until ⅔ full.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a clean toothpick comes out clean. Check at 15. Cool pans on a wire rack for 5 minutes and them remove the cakes and completely cool on the rack.
- To make the icing: Combine all ingredients in a food processor and pulse just until smooth and creamy. Place the icing in a piping bag.
- Pipe icing on the cupcakes and then top with pecans and toasted coconut. Say Grace and enjoy!
Inspired by Gigi’s Carrot Cake