Auntee Gail's Turnip Greens Recipe
The only Southern Turnip Greens recipe you'll ever need! Be sure to pair them with my popular Hot Water Cornbread!!
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time3 hrs
Total Time3 hrs 15 mins
- 1.5 lbs. smoked turkey necks
- 3 lbs. turnip greens cleaned and torn
- 1 lb. mustard greens cleaned and torn
- 2 medium sweet onions sliced
- 3 large whole Jalapenos
- 1/3 c. apple cider vinegar
- 2 T. Kirkland Seasoning
- 6 small turnip roots peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
In a large pot, boil turkey necks in enough water to cover for about 1 hour over high heat. Make sure that the pot is about 1/3 full with water.
Reduce heat to medium low and add turnip greens, mustard greens, onion, jalapenos, Kirkland seasoning and apple cider vinegar. Cook for about 3 hours.
Where there is about 1 hour left for cooking, add turnip root slices, salt, sugar and pepper. Once turnips are tender, the greens are done. Serve with Hot Water Cornbread. Say Grace and enjoy!!