Auntee Gail's Turnip Greens Recipe
The only Southern Turnip Greens recipe you'll ever need! Be sure to pair them with my popular Hot Water Cornbread!!
- 1.5 lbs. smoked turkey necks
- 3 lbs. turnip greens cleaned and torn
- 1 lb. mustard greens cleaned and torn
- 2 medium sweet onions sliced
- 3 large whole Jalapenos
- 1/3 c. apple cider vinegar
- 2 T. Kirkland Seasoning
- 6 small turnip roots peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1/4 c. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
In a large pot, boil turkey necks in enough water to cover for about 1 hour over high heat. Make sure that the pot is about 1/3 full with water.
Reduce heat to medium low and add turnip greens, mustard greens, onion, jalapenos, Kirkland seasoning and apple cider vinegar. Cook for about 3 hours.
Where there is about 1 hour left for cooking, add turnip root slices, salt, sugar and pepper. Once turnips are tender, the greens are done. Serve with Hot Water Cornbread. Say Grace and enjoy!!