Learn how to make oxtail stew braised in a rich red wine base along with lots of yummy veggies, beans, potatoes and pasta (or the entire kitchen sink).
Hey Guys!!! Happy Wednesday!!! So excited to celebrate my 4th Blogiversary this month! Can’t believe it’s been 4 years since I started on this journey and I now have my Sweet Pea, which is kinda one of the reasons this blog got started. My love of food combined with my faith that I would someday become a Mommy! It makes me want to shout about the goodness of God every time I think about!!
I’ve decided to celebrate my 4th year with a $100 Amazon gift card!!! Who doesn’t love Amazon, right?!?!?! I mean I always have at least a few items in my cart at any given moment.
In addition to the $100 Amazon Gift Card, I thought I’d also celebrate by showing you how to make oxtail stew. WAIT!!! WHAT in the world is an oxtail and do you actually eat it? No worries my friends…it’s simply the tail of cattle and one of the most luxurious cuts of meat if prepared correctly.
HOW TO MAKE OXTAIL STEW
Hubby came home all dreamy eyed with a few packs the other day and asked me to prepare them. I have to admit that oxtail stew is one of my favorites as well!! This deliciously rich stew begins by searing the oxtails to create lots and lots of flavor. I can hear Chef Anne Burrell saying, “brown food tastes good!!!!” It’s so true. If you neglect the sear, you neglect capturing the flavor. So promise me that you won’t miss this important step!!
The flavor is then deepened with red wine and beef bone broth along with a mirepoix of onion, carrots and celery. The key is braising the oxtails over low heat for several hours to get the meat succulent and tender. Finally, I tossed in every starch I could find just because I wanted to…so in come pinto beans, potatoes and pasta or whatever you want.
The final product is nothing short of amazing!!! You’ll find yourself craving more and more!!! I promise you won’t be disappointed. Be sure to pair it with rice (because you just have to have one more starch) along with hot water cornbread!!! Say Grace and enjoy!!
How To Make Oxtail Stew
- 6 oxtails trimmed of visible excess fat
- Kirkland Organic No Salt Seasoning
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 celery ribs chopped
- 2 carrots peeled chopped
- 4 garlic cloves smashed
- 1 T tomato paste
- 1 T worcestershire
- 2 c. red wine
- 4 c. beef bone broth
- 1 thyme bunch tied with string
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 whole serrano pepper
- 15 oz. can stewed tomatoes
- 15 oz can Great Northern beans
- 2 potatoes extra large dice
- 1 small bag mixed vegetables frozen
- 1/2 c. small pasta any variety
- Kosher Salt
- Black Pepper
- Season each oxtail generously with Kirkland seasoning, salt and pepper. Coat a pot large enough to accommodate all the meat with olive oil and bring to a high heat. Cook in batches, add the oxtails to the pan and brown well.
- When the oxtails are nice and brown, remove them from the pan. Add the onions, carrots, celery and garlic and season with salt and pepper approximately 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, Worcestershire, red wine and bring to a boil.
- Return the oxtails to the pan and add bone broth. Add the thyme bundle and bay leaves. Cover the pan and braise on low heat for 4 hours.
- During the last hour, add the stewed tomatoes. During the last half hour, add the beans and potatoes. During the last 10 minutes, add mixed vegetables and pasta.
- Oxtails should be very fork tender when done. Serve with rice and hot water cornbread. Say Grace and enjoy!!
Now that you’ve learned how to make oxtail stew, don’t forget to enter the giveaway below…
WHAT YOU WILL WIN
$100 Amazon Gift Card
HOW TO ENTER
Follow me on facebook and instagram to be entered to win.
Giveaway ends at 12:01 am EST on Thursday, March 28th.
One winner will be chosen randomly via Gleam.com and notified by email.