These Southern Style meaty bone-in pork chops come simmered and smothered in a delicious onion and bell pepper gravy.
Who doesn’t love a good ole’ poke chop?!?!?! Especially when you smother it with sweet bell peppers and onions. Hubby has been asking me to make said poke chop for quite some time now. Remember he’s a country boy at heart. He grew up eating them as a kid as they were the affordable option for a family of six. Well… pork steaks is what they really enjoyed.
Beef neck bones, hot water cornbread or these nicely seasoned Southern Smothered Pork Chops cause him to be over the moon with delight. He loves the smothering part the best because the gravy and onions because makes the pork chops so succulent and tennnnnnder!!! You’re talkin’ bout some good eatin’!!! Now hubby didn’t grow up eating this southern treat over rice as I did. He loved them with potatoes and cabbage. He really is a meat and potatoes kinda guy but I had a taste for them over brown rice this time. Your choice guys but I’m partial to rice.
To smother: to cover, to envelop
Smothered with God’s love. Covered with God’s love. Enveloped by God’s love. God’s kind of love COVERS a multitude of sins. – 1 Peter 4:8. Not just one or two mistakes but a multitude. Jesus says, “This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you”. – John 15:12. I encourage you to love like Jesus would and forgive someone that offends you today. What an awesome opportunity to share Jesus!!! Have a Merry Christmas, Guys! Say Grace and enjoy!
- 6 loin pork chops
- 1 ½ tsp. onion powder
- 1 ½ tsp. garlic powder
- 1 ½ tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. salt (really to taste)
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. cayenne
- 2 tsp. seasoning mixture
- ½ c. flour and ⅓ c. flour
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1 med. onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper,
- 1 orange bell pepper, sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 4 c. chicken broth
- 1 tsp. seasoning
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Mix all seasoning together; reserve 2 teaspoons for flour and 1 teaspoon for gravy.
- Combine ½ c. flour with the 2 teaspoons of reserved seasoning.
- Season pork chops liberally with remaining seasoning.
- In a large pan, preheat about ½ inch vegetable oil over medium-high heat.
- Coat pork chops with seasoned flour; shaking off any excess. Fry chops for about 3 minutes on first side and 2 minutes on the other side or until golden brown. Drain chops on paper towel or brown paper bag.
- Once removing pork chops, drain most of oil; leaving about ¼ cup in skillet.
- Over medium-high heat, saute celery, onion, bell peppers and garlic for about 3 minutes. Stir in ⅓ cup of flour to make a roux and cook for a few minutes or until browned.
- Whisk in the chicken broth; breaking up the flour lumps. Add remaining teaspoon of seasoning. Bring to a boil and remove from heat.
- Add chops to gravy. Make sure to cover entirely with gravy. Cover the pan and cook in preheated oven for about 1.5-2 hours or until tender. Serve over rice. Say Grace and enjoy!!