These quick, easy and fresh Wild Salmon Croquettes will take you right back to your southern breakfast roots!! Try them for dinner with a creamy dill sauce too!!
I’ve been eating quite a bit of wild salmon lately and I thought I’d switch it up and make some good ole country salmon croquettes. Now you may call them salmon patties or salmon cakes but us southern folks call ‘em croquettes. When Momma was growing up, they often had salmon croquettes made from mackerel because it was more affordable. I guess calling them Mackerel Croquettes just doesn’t have the same ring to it though. 😊
Hubby and I haven’t had salmon croquettes in a long while. In fact, I don’t know that I’ve ever made them for him. How shameful is that?! Being the country boy that he is, I should know better!! Momma has a great recipe for salmon croquettes and I thought I’d share them with you today. In fact, since you guys enjoyed Momma’s Potato Salad so much, I thought I’d have her back for another video this month! Shout “Welcome back Momma!”
I love that salmon croquettes are so versatile and that they can be enjoyed for breakfast, lunch or dinner. We have usually served them for breakfast over rice with biscuits. Ummm boy!! I thought I’d share an easy creamy dill sauce with you as well just in case you prefer them for dinner. The dill flavor pairs so well with salmon of any sort and it makes a wonderful addition to the meal!
These Wild Salmon Croquettes remind me of how WILD God is about us!!! His love is sooooo deep for us, guys!! John 3:16 states,“For this is how God loved the world: He gave[a] his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life (NLT). To give and sacrifice something so precious as a one and only Son in order to offer us eternal life is just unfathomable!! How could He be so generous?!?!? It’s only because He’s just that WILD about you!! Say Grace and enjoy!!
In a Salmon kinda mood??? Try my delicious Maple Glazed Salmon too!!
- Salmon Croquettes
- 1 lb. cooked fresh Wild Salmon (or 15¾ oz. canned Salmon), flaked
- ¾ c. diced onion
- ¾ c. diced red pepper
- 1 T. unsalted lemon pepper
- 1 T. Secret Seasoning Kirland Organic No-Salt Seasoning
- 1½ tsp. sea salt
- 1 T. hot sauce
- ½ c. cornmeal mix
- 3 eggs
- vegetable oil, for frying
- Dill Sauce, optional
- ½ c. sour cream
- 2 tsp. dill
- 2 tsp. lemon juice and zest of ½ lemon
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tsp. kosher salt, to taste
- In a small bowl, combine sour cream, dill, lemon juice and zest, garlic and salt. Refrigerate.
- In a large bowl, mix the salmon, onion, red pepper, lemon pepper, secret seasoning, salt, hot sauce, cornmeal mix, and egg.
- Form into 8 patties.
- Heat vegetable oil over medium high heat in a large skillet. Cook the patties until nicely browned on both sides, about 3-4 minutes per side.
- Serve with dill sauce. Say Grace and enjoy!!
Adapted from Momma’s recipe