These delicious, buttery shortbread squares layered with salted caramel are packed with pecans and pretzels then finished with a yummy layer of chocolate.
What is it about salted caramel that makes everyone do back flips from here to there and everywhere? Is it the luxuriously decadent creamy texture of the caramel? Or is the slight bite of the coarsely textured sea salt? It has to be the sweet and salty combination of the two that has created such a frenzy around this trendy French confection.
I have developed such an affection for it that anytime I see it on a menu somewhere, it’s always my first choice. One of my favorite dessert bars of all time would be Salted Caramel Shortbread. It’s an “everything but the kitchen sink” kinda treat if you know what I mean. Soft, buttery shortbread layered with salted caramel, then textured with crunchy pecans and pretzels, then finally topped with a thin layer of semi-sweet chocolate. Every time I pop into a Starbucks and see one, I HAVE to have one, calories permitting or NOT! They’re just that tasty!
I decided to make a homemade version since I enjoy them so much and wanted to share them with family for just a fraction of the cost. They stack up nicely to the original and maybe even a bit tastier in my opinion. I’m partial so I’ll let you decide. These homemade squares are just bursting with so many delicious flavors that they’re a winner with everyone alike. They are sure to cater to your sweet tooth right in the comfort of your very own home. Speaking of comfort…are you searching? Just want to let you know that Jesus wants to be your Comforter if you’ll allow Him. Won’t you let Him in? He’s waiting just for you! Say Grace and enjoy!
- 2 c. plus 2 T. flour, sifted
- ¼ c. plus 2 T. sugar
- ½ c. butter, softened
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- Caramel Filling
- ½ c. butter, softened
- ½ c. brown sugar
- ¼ c. light corn syrup
- ¼ tsp. fleur de sel
- 14 oz. sweetened condensed milk
- ½ c. pretzel sticks, broken
- ½ c. pecans, toasted
- Chocolate Topping
- 1 c. Ghirardelli semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ c. whipping cream
- Fleur de sel, garnish
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Line a 9X9 baking square with foil.
- Cream butter and sugar until fully combined. Add vanilla and stir in completely.
- Add in sifted flour and combine
- Press cookie crust into bottom of baking square until completely even. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- While crust is baking, start the caramel filling. In a medium saucepan, melt butter and brown sugar over medium heat until sugar dissolves.
- Add corn syrup and sweetened condensed milk. Whisk mixture constantly until you reach a deep amber caramel color. It may take about 10-15 minutes. Don't let it go too far as you want it to remain pliable.
- Add in fleur de sel, pretzels and toasted pecans. Stir to combine.
- Pour over cooled crust and place in fridge for about 30 minutes to set.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, melt chocolate and whipping cream together until smooth.
- Pour over chilled caramel and garnish with fleur de sel. Allow to chill for another 30 minutes. Say Grace and enjoy!!